Sunday, August 5, 2012

Collage Couture

Hello! I'm back at The Studio, and there's a new challenge for you :). It's all about using a new technique. I came across the work of an online friend who was on a collage kick. She was inspired by this book: Collage Couture. When I read the details for this challenge, I knew I wanted to try collage as my technique. I ordered the book and set to work:



The first part of the book talks about drawing the figures. The author/artist offers several examples and talks about the basics. I don't have a lot of confidence in my drawing skills, so I decided to simply trace one of the figures in the book. With practice, I think I could draw them on my own eventually. I did draw my own clothing, though :). The next part was transferring my drawing to patterned papers, fussy-cutting, then gluing her together.


The book also goes into detail discussing backgrounds and mixed media techniques. I didn't go into that for this layout, but I hope to soon. I just added my collaged girl to the page as an embellishment.


If you're in the market for a book on collage, with specific attention paid to girls/women and clothes, this is a great book. I keep going through it over and over again. The examples are plentiful and I like the artist's approach - not too fussy and technical, but enough information to get you going and inspired. To go with the necklace/clothes theme, I embellished with buttons and thread:


If you're interested in playing along at The Studio, you can find the details here. There is a Teresa Collins stamp prize up for grabs :). And you must see what the other gals chose as their new techniques. It's a really inspiring post! Thanks for stopping by today :). Tessa

2 comments:

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment :). If you don't see your comment appear right away, don't fret. I'm screening for spam and will approve your post as soon as I can. Have a great day!